We emphasise foods that will not only assist you in losing weight but also taste delicious and fill you up without overloading your body with starches. Try not to eat a big meal in the evening. Remember, you can always have a healthy desert or try an Energy Slim Weight Control Shake if you are still hungry later on.
Turnip & Mushroom Ravioli (as seen on Masterchef)
- 1-2 Large turnips – Sliced finely to make around 30 slices
- 2 cups mushrooms (any type is ok)
- 1 shallot finely diced
- 3 cloves crushed garlic
- 2 tablespoons choped chives & sprinkle Thyme
- Poaching Liquid – 1ltr Milk, 100g Icing Sugar 50g butter.
In this recipe, the turnips are the ravioli sheets. Combine poaching ingredients and simmer gently. Add sliced turnip until just soft then drain (don’t over-cook). Saute shallots for 30 seconds then add mushrooms & garlic adding thyme and chives at the end – 2 minutes. remove from heat. Place larger turnip slices on a board & centre mushroom filling onto these slices. Place another turnip slice on top of the filling and press gently but firmly to the under turnip. The stickiness from the sugar will stick the turnip slices together. Heat for a further 30 seconds in the microwave before serving. Serve with side salad and feta cheese.
Honey Mustard Chicken Pasta
- 300g farfalle or other pasta shape
- 3 tbsp reduced-fat mayonnaise (use full-fat if you prefer)
- 1 heaped tsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 tsp clear honey
- 300g cooked chicken, torn into rough pieces
- 4 spring onions, thinly sliced (or use ½ red onion, thinly sliced)
- small bunch basil, leaves roughly torn
- 4 tomatoes, quartered, then each chunk halved
- Honey mustard dressing
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
Boil the pasta, then cool under running water. Mix the mayo, mustard and honey in a large bowl and loosen with a little water to make a dressing the consistency of double cream. Add the pasta, chicken, onions, basil and tomatoes, season to taste, then gently mix together.
Mushroom Crust Pizza
4 large brown mushrooms
15 ml olive oil
125g grated mozzarella cheese
2 red peppers – diced
4 spring onions – chopped
4 slices of salami – diced
Salt and pepper for seasoning
Put the mushrooms on the baking sheet, season with salt and pepper to taste and drizzle with olive oil.
Bake for 15minutes.
Scatter the remaining ingredients on top of the mushrooms and bake for another 10minutes or until the cheese has just melted.
Healthy Chicken and Vegetable Sausage Rolls
- 1/2 cup (35g) fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 500g chicken breast mince
- 1 egg, plus 1 extra lightly beaten egg
- 1 zucchini, finely grated
- 1 carrot, finely grated
- 1/2 onion, grated
- 1/4 cup chopped coriander leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 4 sheets frozen low-fat puff pastry, just thawed
- 1 tbs sesame seeds (optional)
- Tomato or sweet chilli or sauce, to serve
Process crumbs, chicken and unbeaten egg in a food processor until well combined. Place in a bowl, mix well with vegetables and herbs, then season.
Deliciously Sticky Chicken Drumsticks
½ cup plum sauce
1/3 cup honey
2 teaspoons ketjap manis (sweet soy sauce)
finely grated rind of 1 lime
1 tablespoon finely grated ginger
¼ teaspoon ground allspice
1 Kg chicken drumsticks
Prawn Salad with Croutons
- 2 pink grapefruits, zest and juice from 1, segments cut from the other
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 2 tbsp chopped dill
- 300g cooked, peeled prawns
- ½ cucumber, halved lengthways, seeds scooped out with a teaspoon, diced
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 handfuls frisée, torn
- 2 handfuls rocket
- 100g pack pomegranate seeds
Whisk together the grapefruit zest and juice, oil, vinegar, sugar and dill to make a dressing. Mix half with the prawns and allow to marinate for 10 mins.
Super Crustless Quiche
- 8 eggs – 4 whole eggs and 4 egg whites
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 2 tbsp. light sour cream – beaten lightly
- 100g low-fat feta cheese
- Pepper to taste
- Add your choice of cooked ingredients: chicken, mushroom, spinach, red onion, diced capsicum, sliced olives or proscuitto
Combine eggs, milk, cheese and sour cream in a bowl and mix gently. Cook added ingredients including spinach leaves. Pour egg mixture into a greased quiche dish and add cooked ingredients, Bake for 30-35 minutes in 180 degree moderate oven. Serves 4-6 people.
Oregano and Lemon Chicken with Zucchini and Sweet Potato Salad
This low-fat and gluten-free meal is tasty and healthy too.
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 (600g) breast fillets, sliced in half, then cut lengthways
- olive oil cooking spray
- 600g sweet potato, peeled, cut into 5mm thick slices
- 3 medium zucchini, sliced diagonally
- 100g baby spinach leaves
- balsamic vinegar, to serve (see tip)
Combine wine, lemon juice, garlic and oregano in a shallow glass or ceramic dish. Using a sharp knife, slice trimmed chicken breasts lengthways to form 2 thin, even-sized fillets. Add chicken and turn to coat. Meanwhile, spray a barbecue plate or chargrill with oil. Heat over high heat. Cook sweet potato for 5 minutes each side or until just tender. Add zucchini and chicken. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes each side or until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are browned and tender.
Transfer sweet potato and zucchini to a large bowl. Add spinach leaves. Toss gently to combine. Serve chicken on salad, drizzled with vinegar.
- For a zestier dressing, combine the balsamic vinegar with 1 teaspoon of dijon or wholegrain mustard.
Nutritional information per serve
Lemon Salmon with Crushed (Minted) Peas.
- 12 slices of lemon
- 4 skinless salmon fillets
- 1 tbs olive oil
Crushed Peas (Minted)
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 3 spring onions, sliced
- 450g frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup (250ml) vegetable or chicken stock
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped mint leaves (optional)
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan
For minted crushed peas, heat oil in a saucepan over medium-low heat, add spring onions and cook for 1 minute. Increase heat to medium-high and add peas, stock, sugar and mint, and cook for 5 minutes. Drain, reserving 1/3 cup of the liquid, then add back to pea mixture. Roughly mash or pulse in a processor to roughly chop. Stir in cheese, then cover and set aside.
Place lemon, slightly overlapping, on top of each fillet. Heat oil in a large non-stick frypan over high heat. Carefully add fillets, lemon-side down, and cook for 3 minutes or until lemon begins to caramelise. Carefully turn over and cook for a further 2-3 minutes. Serve on peas.
Low-fat Chicken Strips with Sweet Chilli Yoghurt
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 12 (750g) chicken tenderloins, trimmed
- 2/3 cup natural yogurt
- canola oil cooking spray
- mixed salad, to serve
Sweet chilli yoghurt
- 1/2 cup natural yogurt
- 2 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander
Preheat oven to 200°C. Line baking tray with baking paper. Combine breadcrumbs, parsley, garlic salt and parmesan in a bowl. Place yoghurt in separate bowl. Dip chicken in yoghurt, shaking off excess. Toss in breadcrumb mixture. Place on trays. Spray chicken with oil. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Make sweet chilli yoghurt Combine ingredients in a bowl. Serve chicken with sweet chilli yoghurt and salad. Serves 4.
Lamb and Hoisin Lettuce Cups
- 2 tbs peanut oil
- 6 shallots, trimmed, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbs finely grated fresh ginger
- 600g lamb mince
- 80ml (1/3 cup) hoisin sauce
- 1 tbs boiling water
- 250g bean sprouts
- 8 medium iceberg lettuce leaves, washed
- 3/4 cup fresh mint leaves, torn
- 3/4 cup fresh coriander leaves
Nutritional information per serve
Low-fat Poached Chicken with Pesto
- 1L (4 cups) chicken stock
- 1 cup (250ml) dry white wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 chicken breast fillets
- 8 baby (Dutch) carrots, trimmed
- 2 small parsnips, peeled, quartered
- 150g green beans, trimmed
- 4 tbs good-quality basil pesto
Place stock in a large deep frypan with wine & bay leaf. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 2 minutes. Add chicken to the stock and poach, uncovered over medium-low heat for 10 minutes or until cooked through. Transfer to a plate and cover loosely with foil to keep warm. Add carrots to stock and simmer for 5 minutes. Add beans and cook for a further minute.
Divide vegetables among serving bowls and spoon over a little stock. Top with chicken breasts and a dollop of pesto, and season with freshly ground black pepper.
Delicious Eggplant, Herb and Fetta Patties
- 1 (550g) large eggplant
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 100g fetta, crumbled
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Alfa One rice bran oil, for shallow frying
- Greek salad, to serve (see note)
Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Cook patties, in batches, for 2 minutes each side or until golden and cooked through. Transfer to a plate lined with paper. Serve patties with Greek salad.
Lean Chicken, Turkey, Lamb or Beef Rissoles
- 250-500g minced beef, chicken or turkey
- 1 onion – diced finely
- 1 carrot – grated
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley – cut roughly
- (optional) egg, oregano, rosemary, marjoram, spinach, chilli
- Sea Salt and ground black pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Form flattened patties with your hand. Stand in fridge for 30 minutes if possible. Spray pan with oil, BBQ or grill for 5-6 mins each side or until cooked. Note: do not add egg if using chicken or turkey mince. Drain on paper towel before serving. Serve on a plate with steamed vegetables or a fresh salad.
1 – Gyro – Slice patties into 3 strips, place onto Sorj (flat) bread with salad and Tatziki yogurt for a great Souvlaki.
2 – Meal Balls – Form smaller round meat balls. Brown in a fry pan with onions, then add to tinned tomatoes.
Poached Chicken with Asparagus & Sesame
- 3 chicken breast fillets
- 2 tbs rice vinegar
- 2 tbs gluten-free tamari (see note)
- 3 tsp sesame oil
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 tbs sesame seeds
- 3 bunches asparagus, blanched for 2 minutes in boiling water, refreshed
- mixed baby salad leaves
Place chicken in a saucepan and pour over enough water to just cover. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, then cover with a lid. Bring to the boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the lid and stand the chicken in the liquid for 10 minutes. Drain, thickly slice & set aside. Combine vinegar, tamari, sesame oil, spring onions and sesame seeds in a bowl and whisk to combine. Divide the asparagus, salad leaves and chicken among serving plates and drizzle with the dressing.
Nutritional Information per serve
- flat (Sorj’ or Mountain) bread
- Roasted lamb, beef or chicken, cut into thin strips
- lettuce – shredded
- onion, salad or red – diced
- (optional) roasted vegetables – eggplant, pumkin, carrots etc.
- tzatziki (refer recipe in snack menu)
Spread the tzatziki sauce in an even layer down one edge of the flat bread. Add your salad and / or vegetables, then layer your meat (hot or cold) on top. Roll the bread, folding up the bottom halfway through, to complete the Souvlaki.
Nutritional information per serve
Pan Fried Fish with Herb Sauce
- large lemon
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, torn
- 12 each mint and basil leaves, torn
- 1/4 cup oregano leaves
- 1/3 cup (80ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 4 x 180g white fish fillets with skin on (such as blue-eye or snapper)
- Crusty bread, to serve
Baked Salmon Parcels
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry – thawed
- 1 tbs basil pesto
- 2 x 100g skinless salmon fillets
- 2 cherry tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 lemon – juiced , plus extra wedges to serve
- 1 egg – beaten (for pastry)
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
Preheat the oven to 200°C. Line tray with baking paper placing 2 halved pastry sheets. Spread on pesto, leaving a 3-4 cm border. Place salmon & tomato, drizzle with lemon juice and brush the pastry border with some beaten egg. Cut 4-5 long slits in the centre of the remaining pastry pieces and over a salmon fillet, pulling slightly to separate strips, then press down the edges and trim, making each parcel into a neat rectangle. Brush the pastries all over with beaten egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the fish is just cooked through and pastry is puffed and golden. Serve with lemon wedges and a green salad, if desired.
Warm Beef Salad
- 1 red onion – 1/2 chopped finely, 1/2 sliced finely
- 2 garlic cloves – crushed
- 1 small red chilli – remove seeds & chop finely
- 400g fillet or porterhouse steak (or beef strips)
- 1/2 small tin beetroot balls – or slices cut into pieces
- 1/4 small Chinese cabbage (wombok) – shredded
- 150g (1 cup) snow peas – roughly cut
- 200g cherry tomatoes – halved
- 1 cucumber – sliced
- oil – for cooking
- 2 tbsps fish sauce
- 1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 1 lime – juiced
Place chopped onion, garlic and chilli in a dish, then add beef and coat. Refrigerate for 30 minutes, if time permits. Heat pan or bbq, cook until cooked to your liking, rest for 5 minutes. Now make the dressing whisking all ingredients until combined. If required, thinly slice beef across the grain. Place cabbage, snow peas, tomatoes, cucumber, beetroot, sliced onion and beef in a large bowl. Pour over dressing, toss and serve.
Asian Chickpea Salad
- 1 small can chickpeas (also called garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 1 medium cucumber, chopped
- 1 red capsicum, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup raw corn kernels sliced off cob or tinned
- 3 tbsp. hoi sin sauce
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- ½ tsp. garlic-chilli paste
- 1 tbsp. natural yogurt Ð optional
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and toss gently. Place on top of fresh spinach and lettuce leaves. Top with yogurt – optional.
Note: Round out the meal with some whole-wheat pita bread (simply spoon the salad into a half pocket)
Low-fat Mash Potato
- 1kg potatoes, peeled, chopped
- 1/2 cup low fat milk or Carnation Light & Creamy evaporated milk
- 2 whole eggs
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves (optional)
Cook potatoes, uncovered, in a large saucepan of boiling, salted water for 10 to 12 minutes or until soft. Drain. Return potatoes to pan. Add milk & eggs. The heat from potatoes will cook the eggs and give you a lovely golden smooth texture to your potatoes. Mash until smooth. Stir in parsley. parsley. Serve hot. Serves 4.
Nutritional Information per serve.
Home-Made Low-Carb Mediterranean Lamb Pizza
Friday-night pizza goes low-fat with a lean lamb and creamy ricotta topping.
- Olive oil spray
- 1 large red capsicum, quartered, deseeded
- 3 large zucchini, peeled into thin ribbons
- 150g lamb fillet
- 4 small rounds pita bread or 2 pieces sorj (flat) bread
- 2 tbs Basil pesto
- 50g Perfect Italiano Light Pizza Plus grated cheese
- 80g low-fat ricotta, crumbled
- Fresh basil leaves, to serve
- Mexican beef & bean pizza: Omit the zucchini, ricotta, pine nuts and basil. Replace the lamb with 300g lean beef mince. Replace the basil pesto with 4 tbs sun-dried tomato pesto. Cut the capsicum into 5mm pieces. Heat 2 tsp oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the mince and cook, stirring to break up any lumps, for 5 minutes or until mince changes colour. Add 1/2 x 35g sachet taco seasoning and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until aromatic. Add the capsicum and 1 x 125g can kidney beans, rinsed, drained, to the pan. Cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until heated through. In step 3, top the pita bread with the mince mixture and sprinkle over the cheese. Top with a dollop of mashed avocado to serve.
- Chicken & sun-dried tomato Turkish toasts: Omit the ricotta, pine nuts and basil. Replace lamb with 300g single chicken breast fillets. Replace the pita bread with 2 Turkish bread rolls, split. Replace the basil pesto with 4 tbs sun-dried tomato pesto. In step 2, cook the chicken for 5 minutes each side or until cooked through. Top with 40g baby spinach leaves to serve.
- Roast pumpkin & chicken pizza with mango chutney: Omit the capsicum, zucchini, lamb, ricotta, pine nuts and basil. Replace the pesto with 4 tbs mango chutney. Preheat oven to 200°C. Place 300g Kent pumpkin, peeled, deseeded, cut into 1cm pieces, on a baking tray. Spray with olive oil spray. Roast for 15 minutes or until tender. In step 3, top the pizzas with the pumpkin, 150g (11/2 cups) shredded Woolworths Country Style Roast Chicken and 1 red onion, halved, thinly sliced. Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper. Place the pizzas on the lined tray and spray with olive oil spray. Bake for 10 minutes or until the onion is just tender. Serve.
- Other great ingredients to use are
- chicken, prawn, or turkey meat – cooked, bocconcini, capsicum & onion, thinly sliced, chilli flakes & fresh herbs (basil, orgegano, etc.)
- proscuitto or low fat ham & pineapple pieces & feta, or shaved parmesan cheese
- Olive oil spray
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 80ml (1/3 cup) white wine
- 700ml tomato pasta sauce
- 250ml (1 cup) water
- 1 tbs dried oregano leaves
- 260g (1 1/4 cups) dried risoni pasta
- 1kg green prawn tails
- 125g reduced-fat feta, crumbled
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh continental parsley
- 2 tbs fresh oregano leaves
Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat. Spray with oil. Cook the onion and garlic, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes or until soft. Add the wine and simmer for 2 minutes or until the liquid is reduced. Add the tomato pasta sauce, water and dried oregano. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 25 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Cook the risoni in a large saucepan of salted boiling water following packet directions. Drain. Stir in 1 1/2 tablespoons of the fresh oregano.
Meanwhile, preheat non stick saucepan. Spray the prawns with oil and season with salt and pepper. Cook the prawns for 2 minutes each side or until cooked. Reheat the tomato pasta sauce mixture over low heat and stir in half the feta.
Place the risoni in a serving dish. Pour over the passata mixture and top with the prawns. Sprinkle with the parsley, remaining feta and remaining fresh oregano. Serves 6.
Nutritional information per serve.